Educational Support For Children With Medical Needs
Children may experience ill health at some point during their time at school and others may have an ongoing medical condition that potentially impairs their ability to access education in school. In the majority of cases, schools are able to support pupils in such circumstances effectively.
Medical students are offered wide-ranging academic teaching. We have well-being sessions available so that the social and emotional needs of our students are taken care of. We pride our self on a high quality of education evidenced through our strong outcomes and parent/carer feedback.
Children Who Cannot Attend School Because of Health and Medical Needs+
DFE guidance outlines how, in more exceptional cases, support can be made available in order to minimise disruption to a child’s education, where their needs cannot be met by school.
Kirklees Council has the overall responsibility for the education of children with health and medical needs who cannot attend school. Ethos College therefore provides education for children who are unable to attend school because of physical health or mental health needs (KS1-4).
This service is accessed by a referral from the mainstream school and must be supported by medical advice from a consultant. Support is usually on a short term basis, with the child remaining dual registered with their mainstream school. The aim of this provision is, where possible, to support the pupil towards reintegration back into mainstream education when they are well enough. This is done at the earliest opportunity, working closely with school, the pupil, parents/carers and other professionals.
Referrals Can Be Made Under The Following Criteria:
- The pupil has an illness that will result in a 15+ day absence.
- The pupil has a potentially long term illness or recurrent bouts of chronic illness.
- The pupil has complex mental health needs.
For further information on the referrals process, please contact Ethos College on 01924 469170 or via email: email@example.com.
Aims and Vision+
- Every child should have the best possible start in life through a high-quality education, supporting them to achieve their full potential.
- All children should have the same opportunities as their peer group.
- Children should receive the same range and quality of education as they would have experienced at their home school.
- Children unable to attend school because of health needs should be able to access suitable and flexible education appropriate to their needs.
- The use of electronic media such as virtual classrooms and learning platforms can provide access to a broader curriculum.
- Ethos College will maintain good links with the child’s school, supporting systems to promote partnerships.
- Information is shared at the planning stage between schools, health services and Ethos College.
- Schools will play a key role in making sure that the provision offered is as effective as possible and that the child can be reintegrated back into school successfully.
- Parents have a voice in their child’s education.
- Children have a voice in their educational support.
“We are in no doubt that ETHOS is a very special place. All teachers involved with my daughter have worked above and beyond and we have all grown to be incredibly fond of them all – they are very special people. Staff have not only believed in her when she needed it most but they have helped and supported her…”
“Everyone involved in the home tuition of our child was so professional and helpful. They assisted her in obtaining fabulous grades in all of her subjects”
“The staff were so calm and had a way of conveying the subject matter to our child that immediately engaged her with learning. Something that she had lost due to her anxiety”
“Staff have been absolutely fantastic. They really take on board my child’s needs and are really flexible”